The Scientific Glass Blowing Company was founded in 1917, our founder, Fritz Hartwig, came to Britain from Germany in 1908 to work for Otto Baumbach & Company, based in Manchester. Mr. Baumbach worked closely with Ernest Rutherford, the Nobel Prize Winner in Chemistry, at Manchester University.
In 1917 Mr. Baumbach was unavailable to continue this work. Mr. Hartwig then formed a partnership with Charles Edwards to manufacture glassware for the Nobel Prize Winner, and the Scientific Glass Blowing Company was born.
Mr. Hartwig ran the company as Sole Proprietor from 1932 until 1958, when it was bought by Henry Stuart. The business continued to operate from premises in Manchester close to the University. Mr. Stuart was Sole Proprietor from 1958 until the Company was Incorporated in 1977 when he became Managing Director, a position he held until his death in 1987.
Nowadays the company’s management team is headed by Robert C. Stuart, Managing Director, who has been in charge since 1987.
In 1973, the Company began its association with Fisons Scientific Equipment. Initially, they were appointed distributors of Fisons Laboratory chemicals, followed some two years later as Laboratory Equipment Distributors. This relationship has developed over the years to the benefit of both Companies.
The Company moved to its present location in 1971 and is situated within easy access of the motorway network in Northern England, thus giving a fast and efficient service to all our customers in Greater Manchester, Cheshire, Merseyside and Lancashire. If you would like to know anything more about the company and the services we offer please click here to contact us.